Thursday 6 December 2012

Greetings To The Ether



This is difficult.  For my first blog post I have no idea what to write.  It feels a bit awkward.  I’m the type of person who won’t leave messages because I don’t like/agree with the idea of conversing with a machine.  So I’m still not quite sure what I’m doing here.  I think I’m just going to view this as me sharing my thoughts with the ether because I can do that.  

I like baking.  I like to talk about baking.  I think about baking all the time and like to try out new recipes and conjure up the courage to try new techniques and methods too.  Although I’m not always too keen on the latter since I very much like my comfort zone.  I like fast and easy recipes that look and taste great.  There are some out there.  I’m sure there are.  But sometimes I like the longer projects which take time and effort too.

The problem is my inconsistency.  I can’t seem to find the fortitude to stick to something for long.  I hate pressure.  I lack concentration and fear commitment.  Not to the important stuff, like family of course, but to my likes and dislikes, my educational and my career choices, my social obligations and my hobbies, and to my passions and intentions.  And to my plans.  

I have been baking for almost 15 years now and it is the one thing that has consistently given me satisfaction and has held my interest.  It provides solidity in an otherwise tempestuous mind.  I need to bake sometimes, rather than have to.  To see that alchemy in progress.  I’m not quite sure why.  Maybe this is why I’m writing this blog and sharing recipes.  Maybe it’s also because I want to give myself a target timeframe and stick to something for that long.  I’ll try for a year (daunting!).

Although I’ve not been too helpful on the ‘why’ of this blog, I can tell you that it will predominantly contain recipes on cakes and sweet things with the very occasional savoury if I think it is worth sharing.  I might also do very occasional book reviews on baking books, since I have so many of them.  A lot of the recipes I make are from cookbooks and I also like to make my own which don’t always work out fantastically but are some of the most fun times I have in baking.

I think the difficult part is over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment