Sunday 19 May 2013

Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes with Caramel and Vanilla Mascarpone



I’m not really a pancake person.
My breakfast usually consists of a big bowl of porridge, with a sliced banana and maple syrup or toast/bagel/crumpet with tea.
Pancakes take a little bit too much effort in the morning and I usually find them a bit indulgent and filling (mind you, I do like to have them with a sliced banana and some squirty cream so maybe that’s why).
My usual recipe for pancakes isn’t even much of a recipe.  I crack an egg into a jug, add half a mug of milk, then enough plain flour to create a thickish batter.  Sugar is optional depending on who I’m making it for but I always add it for myself.
The idea of following a precise, written recipe for pancakes isn’t something that I would usually do, but coming upon this recipe just happened to coincide with me being in the rare mood for pancakes.  It also contained chocolate chips and bananas, a combination which I love, so I couldn’t resist.
All I can say about these are that they were absolutely delicious.  So moist, soft and fluffy inside, while having a very slight crunch on the outside.  These were perfect with the mascarpone and caramel topping, although they still make for a heavy and slightly indulgent breakfast in my opinion.  Moderate portions are the key here.
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes with Caramel and Vanilla Mascarpone
·         2 ripe bananas
·         2 eggs
·         200ml milk
·         150g self-raising flour
·         25g ground almonds
·         15ml/1tbsp caster sugar
·         Pinch salt
·         1tbsp chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
·         Butter/oil for frying
For the mascarpone topping:
·         250g mascarpone
·         1tsp vanilla bean paste
·         2-3 tbsp caramel
·         2 tbsp golden syrup

In a bowl, mash the bananas and beat in the eggs and 100ml milk.  Combine the flour, almonds, sugar and salt and mix into the bananas/egg mixture.
Mix in the remaining milk and the chocolate chips.
Place some butter in a frying pan and let it heat up on medium-low heat.  On low heat, add a dollop (about 3-4 tbsp) of batter into the middle of the melted butter.
Once you begin to see bubbles appearing on the top of the batter, flip it over and cook for about a minute more.  Use up all the batter.
To make the caramel mascarpone topping simply mix all the ingredients together in bowl.  If you find it too thick then just thin it with a little amount of milk.
Serve spoonfuls of the caramel mascarpone on top of the pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment